EX guitar, baritone guitar
MOOR guitar, baritone guitar
EX drums, vocals
"After their start in 1979 The Ex developed over the years into a
melting-pot of divergent musical styles: noise, rock, jazz, improvisation, and
ethnic music have been interweaved under one unique umbrella: 'Ex-music'.
Discordant, highly rhythmic guitars, the rolling, almost African drumming style,
and the furious delivery of the often sarcastic lyrics give the music of The Ex
its special character."
In 2002, the band did a couple of concerts as "The Ex Orkest"
during which they performed Don Van Vliet's 'Suction Prints'.
- 2002/04/20 Ex Orkest - concert "Taktlos Festival", 'Rote
Fabrik', Zürich, Switzerland
- broadcast on DRS 2 : "Neue Musik im Konzert" on 2002/07/17
- Terrie Ex - guitar * Andy Ex - guitar * Luc Ex - electric bass * Katherina Ex - drums, vocals
* G.W. Sok, Phil Minton, Jaap Blonk - vocals * Roy Paci, Felicity Provan - trumpet
* Ferrie Heyne - trombone, tuba * Wolter Wierbos, Joost Buis - trombone
* John Butcher - sax * Gert Jan Blom - gr-box (?) * Rozemarie Heggen, Ernst Glerum - bass
* Wilf Plum, Michael Vatcher - drums * Hamish McKeich - conductor, bassoon
* [Jan Mulder - lyrics]
- 1. Kokend asfalt (6:38)
2. Telehun Gelessese (4:41)
3. John (2:49)
4. Suction prints (4:17)
5. Rosenkohl (2:19)
6. Mud / De weg (5:49)
7. Improvisation (1:51)
- a recording of this broadcast was made available on DimeADozen
- 2002/04/27 Ex Orkest - concert 'Het Bimhuis', Amsterdam, NL
- broadcast on dutch radio
- Hamish McKeich - conductor, electric bassoon * Jaap Blonk - vocals
* Phil Minton - vocals * Jos Kley (GW Sok) - vocals * Andy Moor (Andy Ex) - guitar
* Terrie Hessels (Terrie Ex) - guitar - John Butcher - sax * Felicity Provan - trumpet
* Roy Paci - trumpet * Wolter Wierbos - trombone * Joost Buis - trombone
* Ferry Heyne - trombone * Luc Klaasen (Luc Ex) - acoustic bass * Rozemarie Heggen - double bass
* Ernst Glerum - double bass * Gert Jan Blom - singing saw, groovebox, basmondorgel
* Michael Vatcher - percussion * Katharina Bornefeld (Katrin Ex) - drums, vocals (4)
* Wilf Plum - drums * Tjeerd Oostendorp - Tuba
- 'Instant' improvisation set:
(2-4 musicians improvising in different combinations)
- 01 Jaap (Voice) + Andy (Guitar) + Joost (Trombone) + Gert-Jan (Singing Saw) (8:46)
02 Tjeerd (Tuba) + Wolter (Trombone) + Hamish (Electric Bassoon) (7:01)
03 Phil (Voice) + John (Sax) (5:42)
04 Kat (Drums) + Wilf (Drums) + Michael (Percussion) (5:08)
05 Ernst (Double Bass) + Michael (Percussion) + Wolter (Trombone) + Luc (Bass) (6:34)
- Ex Orkest set
- 01 Andy Impro piece(9:33)
02 Kokend asfalt (6:31) *
03 Telehun Gelessese (4:42)
04 Ernst/ Phil (3:15)
05 Suction Prints (Captain Beefheart composition) (4:26)
06 Spruitjes (1:44) **
07 Mud -> De Weg (5:39)
08 John/ Felicity/ Xavier/ Wolter (3:09)
09 My happiness (5:08)
10 Hleyew Mesfin (Aha Begena) (6:50) ***
11 Bulgarian folksong (unknown title) (3:44)
12 Symphonie voor Machines (3:11)
13 Rozemarie/ Michael/ Terrie -> Uitgeest (6:48)
14 Meer nieuws (6:05)
- * Luc's bass amp exploded during this song and made loud noises. Some members of the band stopped playing, others continued, a little bit confusion happened.
When Luc brought his amp back in line the song was finished normally.
** Jaap Blonk wandered through the tables with the audience without a mic and shoutet the lyrics, so this is very low volume.
*** This track (titled in 2002 'Hleyew Mesfin', probably after the original composer) is an early piece of The Ex's interest in ethiopian music. It was also played in 2006 spring tour with Getatchew Mekuria and finaly titled as 'Aha Begena' on Getatchew Mekuria, The Ex and Guests album 'Moa Anbessa' in late 2006.
- 'Kokend asfalt' is a reworked version of 'State of shock'
'My happiness' is a reworked version of 'The chair needs paint'
'Uitgeest' is a reworked version of 'Time flies'
'Meer nieuws' is a reworked version of 'Burnsome'
- a pre-FM recording of this broadcast was made available on DimeADozen